Ooey Gooey popcorn balls have been a Halloween tradition for Carolyne and Jodi since they were children. Every October they made these fun treats with their Mom Helen and took them to school to share with their classmates. Watch the video below for step by step instructions on this easy as pie recipe with expertise from Crave's Matriarch Helen (a.k.a. the Popcorn Ball Queen).
Join Carolyne and Helen for a fun, hands on popcorn ball workshop in the 7D Kitchen at Crave Kensington! Workshops are held on October 13th and 21st.
McIntyre Halloween Popcorn Balls
Makes 5 regular size popcorn balls or 8-12 mini popcorn balls
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Paper Straws (available at all Crave locations)
Making the Caramel
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
- Measure sugar, water, white corn syrup, butter, salt and vanilla into a medium pot.
- Over medium heat, stir to combine.
- Boil the mixture until it reaches 230F (using a candy thermometer) or it reaches the soft ball stage (watch our video for details on soft ball method)
- Remove immediately and pour entire mixture over popcorn.
- With a spatula, mix until popcorn is evenly coated.
Forming Popcorn Balls
You will need to work quickly so the popcorn does not harden.
- Lightly butter your hands.
- Measure approximately two cups of popcorn and use your hands to form a ball. Press lightly so the ball does not become too hard to bite into
- Insert a paper straw
- Place formed balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- flatten the bottom slightly so the ball sits upright and the straw is straight
Use the same method to make smaller, bite size popcorn balls.